Access to Justice Project
Access to Justice (A to J) Project is one of the main programs of the Nepal Bar Association, based on an agreement between Nepal Bar Association (NEBA) and Norwegian Bar Association (NBA). NEBA is engaged in social welfare activities, in collaboration with NBA, in favor of needy women, children and people of underprivileged community since 1988 through Legal Aid Project, it has renewed the project as Access to Justice Project. The A to J Project is implemented in Nepal since 1st January, 2010 in co-operation with the Norwegian Bar Association and with the funding of NORAD.
Vision and Goal:
“To enable the Government of Nepal (GoN) in order to provide free legal aid to its indigent and poor citizens with intending to sustainability of legal aid in Nepal and secure right to free legal aid of the indigent people.”
The objectives of the project are as follows:
1. To strengthen the concept of Rule of Law & Legal Aid in Nepal.
2. To enable access to justice of targeted persons/groups.
3. To protect human rights by intervening policy making bodies of the government.
4. To provide professional training to staffs of District Legal Aid Committees and Rosters of Lawyers to enhance their capacity.
5. To enhance legal education through the development of school level curriculum.
6. To provide legal aid for Women, Dalit, Janajati, Madheshi and other marginalized community.
7. To carry out advocacy and awareness programs for Women, Children, Dalit, Janajati, Madheshi and marginalized community's rights.
8. To lobby for enactment of new laws relating Human Rights.
Target Groups or Beneficiaries:
The principal target groups of the Project are: all poor and indigent Nepali people including Women and Children, Dalit, Janajati, Madheshiand marginalized community who cannot afford legal counsel cost.
Mr. Hari Krishna Karki President
Mr. Sunil Kumar Pokharel Secretary – General
Mr. Mohan Ingnam Treasurer
Mr. Satish Krishna Kharel Member
Mr. Anil Kumar Sinha Member
Mrs. Geeta Pathak Sangraula Member
Mr. Mukti Pradhan Member
Specific Locations/ or Administrative Units of the Project
a. Supreme Court Bar Association, Kathmandu - 1
b. Appellate Court Bar Associations: 12
c. District Court Bar Associations: 16
|To carry out project activities successfully, NEBA has recruited the following staffs|
|2||Executive Editor||Hom Nath Dhungana|
|3||Senior Adm. and Finance Officer||Raj Kumar Khadka|
|4||Legal Aid Officer|
|5||Program Support Officer||Mohan Krishna Tandukar|
|6||Office Assistant||Uddhav Prasad Silwal|
|7||Office Assistant||Rudra Prasad Pathak|
|8||Account & Finance Assistant||Kabita Panjiyar (Mahato)|
|9||Driver||Harka Bahadur Budhathoki|
Nepal Bar Association
Access to Justice Project
Ramshah Path, Kathmandu
Nepal Bar Building
Phone: 4253896, 4254647, 4248595
Fax : 4262755
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org